[PD] HID: Am I doing this right?

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:50:42 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Turley <aturley at acm.org> wrote:

> I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but it might just be
> easier to use [key], [keyup] and [keyname].

Well, it was actually more of a learning experiment in trying to deal with
[hid] objects. Eventually, I would like to get some sort of dedicated
controller (possibly some game controller, or maybe a built one using
arduino)...

I did test your suggestion, and a couple of things came up that I noticed
that would make using either [key] (and related) or [hid] differently.

1. [key] does not output anything unless the patch containing it is the
front window.
2. [key] outputs any 'key-repeats' that the system generates, while [hid]
does not.

I did notice one thing that is kind of weird in using [hid]... when I opened
up the keyboard (device 0) and started it polling, any output from the
keyboard is normal... I then turn off the polling, and type some more
stuff... I then turn the polling back on, and everything that I typed while
it was off gets output from [hid]...

Strange.

> But if you do want to use [hid], once you have the device open you
> have to send a [1( to start polling. You might want to just hook a
> [print] object to the output to see what kind of info is coming out,
> and then [route] the messages accordingly.

Yup, got this to work, and am looking forward to testing it out on my laptop
at home tonight...

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.