[PD] I'm stuck in a corner, please help! RE: [delta~] object

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 00:11:04 CET 2008

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:38:19 -0400
marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:

> want to delay by 1000/44100 milliseconds and not 1/44100 milliseconds.

Ah yes, sorry that's a typo as I rushed those examples together.

> and then, there is this problem that delwrite~/delread~ is sensitive to
> the order of creation. I attached a small patch, you can see that a
> delwrite/read that is created before the line~ object works similar to
> z~, wheras the delwrite/delread that is created after the line~ is one
> vector behind.

This is much more like it, good thinking Marius. One block of difference would
explain the magnitude discrepency. And that's the sort of thing I really
want to avoid having to explain in the text.

Claude also pointed out a possible sign discrepency around zero for
[delta~] which uses IEEE floats instead of t_sample.
This one is most dangerous if the object is followed by a [wrap~]

Clearly these methods are subtley different and if you're using them in a
sensitive context the effects are important.

I'm going to stick with your first suggestion of [fexpr~], because it works
well, and you've made me realise it's a useful object to introduce.

cheers,

Andy

--
Use the source