[PD] I'm stuck in a corner, please help! RE: [delta~] object

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 13:59:11 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 13:34 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 18:38 -0400, marius schebella wrote:
> > hmm,
> > first, i think you need [swap 1000] instead of [swap 1], because you
> > want to delay by 1000/44100 milliseconds and not 1/44100 milliseconds.
> > and then, there is this problem that delwrite~/delread~ is sensitive to
> > the order of creation. I attached a small patch, you can see that a
> > delwrite/read that is created before the line~ object works similar to
> > z~, wheras the delwrite/delread that is created after the line~ is one
> > vector behind.
> > I attach a patch for clarification...
> > marius.
> >

> > Andy Farnell wrote:
> > > [rzero~] and [delwrite~] methods come out louder
> > > and with apparently less dynamics. Using [z~] and [fexpr~]
> > > I get much closer results to [delta~], more detail in
> > > the poured water sound.
>

> let me mention a clean way to solve the issue with a block delay without
> having to care about creation order. have a look at the doc:
>
> 3.audio.examples/G05.execution.oder.pd

Yes! Andy: if you can get delread~/delwrite~ to do what you want using
the G05 style of execution order forcing, wouldn't that be a cleaner
solution for your book? I mean this from the point of view that the
expr~ family are really externals. I also think that fexpr~'s syntax is
quite confusing, and might interrupt the flow of your discussion if you
are the sound design concepts are to be in the 'foreground' rather than
learning how to use the objects... or maybe that's just my personal
(anti-expr) taste coming through ;-)

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk