[PD] request for ideas for a simple noisy unpitched synth

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Mar 25 18:25:27 CET 2008

I think some of Alberto's Zin's patches might be good to look at,
particularly Mondrian and maybe his newer M2 patch:

http://alberto.zin.googlepages.com/puredata

Mondrian uses feedback Frequency Modulation synthesis to make some very
noisy, almost un-pitched sounds. Is that the kind of sound you're
looking for?

best,
d.

nicholas ward wrote:
> Hi,
> Apologies if this arrives twice. Im having email troubles today. I
> just wanted to ask if perhaps anyone might have a patch or a few
> starting ideas. I need a synth that will be controlled from just one
> slider. It must generate varying non pitched noisy sound in response
> to the position and velocity of the slider. I guess velocity might
> control the amplitude and position some part of the timbre. My
> initial thoughts were on something like a virtual rake in some gravel
> or brushing. Anything will do really as long as it is quite dynamic
> but without a sense of pitch. Im just getting started on it now but
> thought I'd ask in case anyone has a noisy patch they might like to
> fire my way or some approaches.
> Thanks
> Nicky

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista