[PD] request for ideas for a simple noisy unpitched synth

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Mar 25 19:09:04 CET 2008

Hi Nicholas,

well, it often helps to understand what kind of technique produces the
kind of sound you're after. Another good technique for complex,
"concrete" sounding sounds is granular synthesis... but then you have to
start with some kind of soundfile. Try my Particle Chamber patch and see
if it does something you like:

http://puredata.info/Members/derek/Particlechamber.zip/view

best,
d.

nicholas ward wrote:
> Hi,
> wo. Just been playing around with mondrian. Very cool but too pitched
> for what I have in mind. Going to spend a while going through the rest
> of Alberto's patches though. Looks promising.
> Thanks
>
> On 25 Mar 2008, at 17:25, Derek Holzer wrote:
>
>> I think some of Alberto's Zin's patches might be good to look at,
>> particularly Mondrian and maybe his newer M2 patch:
>>
>> http://alberto.zin.googlepages.com/puredata
>>
>> Mondrian uses feedback Frequency Modulation synthesis to make some
>> very noisy, almost un-pitched sounds. Is that the kind of sound you're
>> looking for?
>>
>> best,
>> d.
>>
>> nicholas ward wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Apologies if this arrives twice. Im having email troubles today. I
>>> just wanted to ask if perhaps anyone might have a patch or a few
>>> starting ideas. I need a synth that will be controlled from just one
>>> slider. It must generate varying non pitched noisy sound in response
>>> to the position and velocity of the slider. I guess velocity might
>>> control the amplitude and position some part of the timbre. My
>>> initial thoughts were on something like a virtual rake in some
>>> gravel  or brushing. Anything will do really as long as it is quite
>>> dynamic  but without a sense of pitch. Im just getting started on it
>>> now but  thought I'd ask in case anyone has a noisy patch they might
>>> like to  fire my way or some approaches.
>>> Thanks
>>> Nicky

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista