[PD] Associative list

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Mar 26 05:25:35 CET 2008

Hi Phil,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:11:35PM -0700, Phil Stone wrote:
> This sounds like a great thing for vanilla Pd.  I've had need of
> something just like this more than once.

Great! I hope it comes in handy.

> Having worked a bit with [pool] recently, especially as it is used in
> Memento, I'd venture that you'd have to go quite a bit further to match
> its functionality, though.  It's like a miniature in-memory file system,
> with directories, clipboard editing, and more.  It would be laudable to
> do a "pure" Memento, but I think much of the hierarchic potential of
> [pool] for state-saving has barely been scratched, and in that direction

Yeah for sure, that was way too optimistic of me. I think trying to
re-implement all the functionality of [pool] in Pd would be a huge
stretch of Pd and definately not what Pd is best at. [pool] is a great
external already - no point in re-inventing the wheel.

However I guess what I'm thinking is that it may be possible to extend the
functionality of the SSSAD system a bit with this associative list thing
to the point where some of the functionality of memento can be brought
into SSAD. I guess only Frank can really tell us if this will be any use!

Best,

Chris.