[PD] Associative list

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 26 10:12:26 CET 2008

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:11:35PM -0700, Phil Stone wrote:
> > This sounds like a great thing for vanilla Pd.  I've had need of
> > something just like this more than once.
>
> Great! I hope it comes in handy.
>
> > Having worked a bit with [pool] recently, especially as it is used in
> > Memento, I'd venture that you'd have to go quite a bit further to match
> > its functionality, though.  It's like a miniature in-memory file system,
> > with directories, clipboard editing, and more.  It would be laudable to
> > do a "pure" Memento, but I think much of the hierarchic potential of
> > [pool] for state-saving has barely been scratched, and in that direction
>
> Yeah for sure, that was way too optimistic of me. I think trying to
> re-implement all the functionality of [pool] in Pd would be a huge
> stretch of Pd and definately not what Pd is best at. [pool] is a great
> external already - no point in re-inventing the wheel.
>
> However I guess what I'm thinking is that it may be possible to extend the
> functionality of the SSSAD system a bit with this associative list thing
> to the point where some of the functionality of memento can be brought
> into SSAD. I guess only Frank can really tell us if this will be any use!

With SSSAD I try to be "backend-agnostic": SSSAD is just the protocol
to get and set the state of sssad-watched parts of a Pd patch. How to
save it in the end is up to the user and will probably stay that way.
Your associative container could function as a backend for SSSAD, as a
more comfortable version of [textfile] or message boxes.

Some background on my motivation: I don't like the strong coupling of
Memento with [pool]. I even think it was a mistake on my part. While
[pool] is very powerful, it also pushes you in a certain direction.
For example some things, like preset morphing/interpolation, are hard
to do with [pool], but they would be easy if the backend was just some
custom container written in Lua.

Ciao