[PD] [PD-announce] pdlua-0.4 released

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Mar 28 14:55:13 CET 2008

marius schebella wrote:
> that's great,
> sorry for bothering, can you help me with this error? I compiled lua did
> some fixes in the makefile and then tried to compile pdlua, but got this
> error (I'm on osx).
>
> /var/folders/TH/THjm5UAnEZSSB-y6nQY-6++++TI/-Tmp-//cc6upu2C.s:2824:FATAL:incompatible
> feature used: section type symbol_stubs (must specify "-dynamic" to be used)
> make: *** [lua.pd_darwin] Error 1

Hmm, seems compiling on Mac OS X is more complicated than on Linux, and
I don't have an Apple machine to test.

I guess you were trying to link Lua statically (because:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2008/Feb/msg00314.html
).

Maybe tweak Makefile.static to be like this:

lua.pd_darwin: lua.c
	gcc $(CFLAGS) -o lua.o -c lua.c
	gcc $(CFLAGS) -static -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -o
lua.pd_darwin lua.o -llua

Or try what is suggested in the mail linked above - create a static
archive and link that into a dylib - but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe easiest would be to install Lua via fink/darwinports/whatever is
the flavour of the day and try a normal non-static build...

Another alternative would be to use the Pd-extended build system after
replacing the loaders/pdlua directory with pdlua-0.4, make sure to keep
the .libs file.  But I think that requires Lua to be installed already
(that is, a non-static build).

If you do get it working, let me know how!  Sorry I couldn't be much help.

> do I have to compile lua with special options?

I don't think so.

> thanks,
> marius.

Thanks for the feedback,