[PD] Associative list

Enrique Erne enrique at netpd.org
Fri Mar 28 15:23:19 CET 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:

> yo, sorry to drop in. let me just add a little note about the state
> saving of netpd: it turned out, that it was a mistake to cover both
> tasks, collecting/setting states and reading/writing data from/to files,
> in the same system. some people got frustrated, because this system
> didn't allow them to save their presets in the way/format they wanted.
> we decided to redo all the state saving stuff and just skip file IO
> handling part, so that people can choose themselves, what they are going
> to do with this data. for flexibility's sake, i think the route that
> SSSAD is following totally makes sense, at least in my opinion.

hi

i am sorry for the inconvenience with the netpd's state saving manager.
i wrote 2 systems that should have made life easier when dealing with
presets in netpd.

the first was an abstraction that creates names for the netpd-x to load
and save presets. a feature is that it can save all instruments, then it
makes 1 preset for each instrument.

later i wanted to optimize the system in order to store all data in 1
single preset. also i didn't like that each abstraction carried it's own
gui, that made the abstraction very big (40kb)

while i implemented all my desired features into p-admin it happend that
the new presets were not compatible with the old one's. instead of

it is still possible to use both ways by replacing an abstraction and
adjusting the version tag. but that's really not userfriendly. after
some talk we decided to downgrade back to the first approach.

the plan at the moment is that one day we use the OSC format. so we
could work in a very flexible way with the data. i wonder if people have
good experience with OSC or are there any problem one should be aware of?
compatibility, bugs, etc?

so actually i just wanted to say i'm sorry if somebody got frustrated
because of the preset-manager in netpd :)

here some thinking:

http://www.netpd.org/FutureOfStateSaving

http://www.netpd.org/NextSteps

eni