[PD] Open patch in running pd via commandline

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 28 18:01:18 CET 2008

This is great!  The file associations will help a lot.  It would be
good if you could use the same icon, it is in SVN and is used for Mac
OS X files, and the app icon for all platforms.

As for opening in the same instance, Mac OS X handles that
autmoatically, but on Windows and GNU/Linux, Pd needs to be modified
to support that.  There has been some discussion about how to do it.
I think the best bet would be to look how other apps like Firefox,
etc handle this.

.hc

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Daniel Wilcox wrote:

> Howdy again,
>
> I'm working on integrating pd-extended into the Ubuntu desktop and
> have a mime type and associated patch
> icon setup.  You can double click it to open it in pd natively.
>
> The only problem is I'm trying to figure out a way to open a patch
> in a running instance of pd.  Basically,
> it would be great to double click a patch file and have it open in
> my already running pd thus saving me
> from going back and forth in the open dialog which is annoying.
>
> I've looked at pdsend but from what I've seen in manuals/pd-msg
> pdsend only works if you have a netreceive running
> in a patch.  Is there anyway to send commands to the pd-gui
> directly ala "open in a new tab" from a filebrowser in firefox?
>
> Next up would be to get that tkdnd stuff working ...
>
> --
> Dan Wilcox
> danomatika
> www.robotcowboy.com

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli