[PD] Google SoC: call for mentors and project ideas

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 31 18:03:20 CEST 2008

sorry to chime in so late, but:

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I have just a minor suggestion for an improvement.
> What if it were possible to edit a Pd patch as text from within Pd?
> I often open a patch in a text editor in order to mass copy sends and
> receives or GUI elements or whatever.  The syntax is straightforward
> enough that sometimes this is quicker than clicking, for a whole bunch
> of items.  It would be cool if I could do that from within Pd, without
> closing the patch...

wouldn't it be way cooler to be able to copy a (part of a) pd-patch
(Ctrl-A Ctrl-C) and paste it into your favourite text-editor?
and then do the reverse to get the patch back into pd?

any text-editor widget i could imagine would never be as powerful as a
_real_ editor (like emacs or vi)...

i think desiredata has something like this (at least you could Ctrl-V
the text-form of a patch from an email into dd)

(of course you could copy the text from the "text-editor view" within pd
to your favourite editor and vice-versa; which would give a fast (and
always available) editor (e.g. for simple edits); but it might be easier
to implement just the global clipboard)

fgmadsr
IOhannes