[PD] TR909 Synthesis

raul diaz raul.lete at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:56:43 CEST 2008

Hi list!

I would like to open a thread about drum synthesis

I'm trying to make a tr909 emulator with an interface made with
processing<http://www.processing.org>communicated with pd via OSC.
I would like to make drum synthesis on pd based on chapters from fabulous
sound-on-sound "synth secrets".
I'm not an expert on drum synthesis, so I'm making this work in order to
learn about that. I know there is really expert sound designers on this
community and I would thank a lot their help.
Now, I'm trying to emulate a bass drum. I've take this scheme as example:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb02/images/fig13tr909bd.l.gif
But I don't know how important for the final sound is the block VCO
(sawtooth wave) + Waveshaping, instead of a simple sine oscillator. In synth
secrets articles says:

"The output from the oscillator then passes through a waveshaper. This
removes almost all the overtones, transforming the sawtooth into something
very close to a sine wave."

Another doubt is how accent has influence on amplitude envelope attack and
decay, what's the range of pitch sweep (from 400 to 40-80 Hz?) and its
envelope decay value (200msg?).
And, finally I'm thinking about replaced noise generator + pulse generator
with the trick used by roman haefeli on his 808bass (
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-04/037663.html).

Any suggestion or reference???

Thanks!

--