[PD] externals with same names

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Apr 7 04:20:30 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:53:14PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > 2: don't use the full Pd-extended but strip it down to your needs (i
> > personally use a barebone Pd and add 3 or so libraries - i still have an
> > overview about what is loaded...)
>
> I'm sometimes thinking about making a pd-condensed fork of pd-extended
> which includes only externals and abstractions without nameclashes. ;)

Same here! It would be good to have a distribution with a maintainer
who is slightly less conservative than Miller about what goes in,
but still keep it really tight. Maybe it would also be cool to see a
"democratized" version of Pd where externals and libraries must be first
nominated and then voted in by some requisite number of positive votes.
For this to work I think we'd need to have people for each major GNU/Linux
distribution who would do the work of the actual packaging and submission,
separate to the building (My aims are totally selfish - I'd love to be
able to apt-get install this).

Even more talking with no action (sorry Roman),

Chris.