[PD] externals with same names

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 8 01:02:15 CEST 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:53:14PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>> 2: don't use the full Pd-extended but strip it down to your needs (i
>>> personally use a barebone Pd and add 3 or so libraries - i still
>>> have an
>>> overview about what is loaded...)
>>
>> I'm sometimes thinking about making a pd-condensed fork of pd-
>> extended
>> which includes only externals and abstractions without
>> nameclashes. ;)
>
> Same here! It would be good to have a distribution with a maintainer
> who is slightly less conservative than Miller about what goes in,
> but still keep it really tight. Maybe it would also be cool to see a
> "democratized" version of Pd where externals and libraries must be
> first
> nominated and then voted in by some requisite number of positive
> votes.
> For this to work I think we'd need to have people for each major
> GNU/Linux
> distribution who would do the work of the actual packaging and
> submission,
> separate to the building (My aims are totally selfish - I'd love to be
> able to apt-get install this).
>
> Even more talking with no action (sorry Roman),

Check out my posts about a new ./configure based system for building
externals and custom distros, it would allow us to all work together.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-03/060833.html

This is all fine as long as it doesn't introduce incompatibilities
and organizes the libraries so that it is compatible with pd-extended
and pd-vanilla with libdirs. Otherwise, this project would just make
the situation worse, there would then be three distros with different
library layouts.  We really don't need to return to the bad old days.

I've been thinking more along these lines with Pd-extended anyway.
What needs to happen is to establish a standard library format, then
people can distribute the librs themselves, and they'll work with any
Pd.  libdir is almost there, there I am going to try to finish it
this month, adding support for embedded help files and examples.

.hc