[PD] import vs namespace

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Apr 8 12:01:50 CEST 2008

Hi all,

it seems that the ways of dealing with externals and paths is always in
flux! I would like to confirm a suspicion that, for the time being, the
following works the way I think it does, assuming PD 0.39:

[library/object] imports that specific object into global namespace, and
can accommodate different objects with the same name from different
libs. This method does not allow access to help patches or abstractions
in the library path.

[import library] imports the whole library into global namespace,
including help patches and other abs (usually, although I have often
found this broken in Extended). It cannot accommodate different objects
with the same name from different libs, as the last library imported
will have priority.

Is this correct so far? Has anyone documented this any more
substantially anywhere? How does this change for 0.40?

best!
d.
--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista