[PD] externals with same names

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 8 15:12:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 22:20 -0400, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:53:14PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > > 2: don't use the full Pd-extended but strip it down to your needs (i
> > > personally use a barebone Pd and add 3 or so libraries - i still have an
> > > overview about what is loaded...)
> >
> > I'm sometimes thinking about making a pd-condensed fork of pd-extended
> > which includes only externals and abstractions without nameclashes. ;)
>
> Same here! It would be good to have a distribution with a maintainer
> who is slightly less conservative than Miller about what goes in,
> but still keep it really tight. Maybe it would also be cool to see a
> "democratized" version of Pd where externals and libraries must be first
> nominated and then voted in by some requisite number of positive votes.
> For this to work I think we'd need to have people for each major GNU/Linux
> distribution who would do the work of the actual packaging and submission,
> separate to the building (My aims are totally selfish - I'd love to be
> able to apt-get install this).
>
> Even more talking with no action (sorry Roman),

no need to be sorry, because your talk is at least constructive, where
mine was just a bit rude, and of course i could start working on it
myself instead of asking others to do so.

after all, i am happy that there is pd-extended, so that all objects are
easily available for everyone. i think the next step should indeed be a
cleaned-up version, that
- doesn't have nameclashes
- only contains classes, that work (the same) on every platform
- doesn't conflict with libraries compiled as libraries. i mean
conflicts such as no/bad support for aliases and certain class names.

even more words.........

roman