[PD] import vs namespace

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:22:47 CEST 2008

as far as I understood [import] is the same as [declare -lib] and that
only adds a library to the local namespace of a patch. see the help file
for declare that comes with 0.41.
you can declare your library relative to pd [declare -stdlib] or
relative to the patch [declare -lib], but - as mentioned in the helpfile
- the name stdpath is confusing!].
it is also not 100% clear, how this works in abstractions and if the
behaviour will be consistent with future pd versions.
there might be a chance that [import] really adds to the global
namespace, but I don't think so. (otoh I don't know how to add something
to the global namespace.)
the idea was that you can use a certain objectclass in one patch and
another one with the same name (but from another lib) in another patch.
please correct me, if I'm wrong.
marius.