[PD] debian etch vs lenny (was Re: PdExtended autobuild)

Olivier Heinry olivier at heinry.fr
Mon Apr 14 14:26:58 CEST 2008

Le Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:58:41 +0200,
IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> a écrit :

> Olivier Heinry wrote:
> >
> > Yep, I didnt provide anything since I noticed these logs are as easy to find.
> >

> > good to know.
>

> >> personally i would rather not revert to etch (who works with multimedia
> >> and can live with a debian/stable anyhow :-)?)
> >>

> > Well it's hard to live with a debian/unstable in aproduction environment, I tell you!
> > I reverted to etch since I hoped to have the best of both worlds: stable AND multimedia! (which obviously isnt the case!)
>
> right, sometimes it is really hard to decide which one to use.
>
> still i think that running plain "etch" will not get you far, if you
> want to try things out (in multimedia).
> if you have a small set of applications (e.g. ardour, a certain
> Pd-patch) you have to run really stable  then you might be fine with etch.

yep. nonetheless the only repositoruies which I add to the source-list are debian-multimedai and its mirrors, plus proposed-updates.

> but for trying things out (e.g. seeing whether i bug has been fixed in
> the current Gem CVS version), i would not recommend stable as the
> platform of choice.

I'm not that deep in chroot thingie and multiboot, although I installed Innotek's virtualbox on a feisty fresh install for a friend to keep his Lanbox program running under XP and it worked really fine. then comes the hard disk space (laptop!)

> things are not so bad, if you are not on stable/vanilla but can add the
> debian-multimedia repositories; but these are obviously missing from the
> autobuild machines (for legal reasons).
>
> of course "unstable" is usually just that: unstable.
> but luckily there are things inbetween: testing (lenny)
> but i have to admit that usually i run lenny+sid mixtures, as some
> packages (the ones i need), tend to hang in sid forever.
>
> finally: kernel-2.6.24 really makes a difference in latency, i can
> recommend it; however, getting your nvidia-card to run decently with
> etch or lenny and this kernel is nearly impossible :-(

the real problem with unstable and even testing is the how to keep these f######g nVidia drivers up and running. I remember very clearly the days I spent recompiling kernel 2.6.21 because of the new FTBS rules and that was one good reason to revert to etch. One good reason to keep Etch was that the nvidia kernel module was released the same day as the new kernel update.

A little bit off-topic: Is there any possibility to run Gem with free hardware and free drivers as well? I havent heard of it yet, apparently the Intel drivers dont implement all features (cf older threads).

++

O.