[PD] installatation path of help-files (was: no help file for Gem objects)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 15 11:37:13 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:31 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> PS: btw, hans, what is the reason for Pd-extended to install all
> help-files into 5.reference/<dir> instead of besides the libraries? i
> guess it is just for legacy reasons, but i might be wrong

i cannot speak for hans, of course, but personally i do also install all
help-files into 5.reference/<library>/, so that they are visible and
accessible by pd's help-browser. it seemed to me an easy way to check,
what classes are delivered by a certain library.

i take the opportunity for putting a request to unify the installation
of different libraries. currently, i do install everything
(the .pd_linux files and the help-patches) manually, because otherwise
it is very likely to mess up the extra folder or help-patches are
installed in many different locations, depending on the author of the
makefile. probably i am just blind or stubborn, but i haven't figured
out a clean way to automatically install something compiled from pd-svn
(for a few years of doing pd). if there is already a way (by using
pd-extended makefiles ?) to automatically install libraries in a unified
manner, please let me know.

i am very much in favor of having the help-files in 5.reference.
therefore i think it would be great, if '-helppath' could be specified
relative to '/install/path/of/pd/doc/5.reference'. i don't see a
particular use in having to speficy the whole help path
'/usr/local/lib/pd/extra/doc/5.reference/library/' for each library
installed (assuming doc/5.reference is the official path, where
help-files belong). if this is not the 'official' location for
help-files, then let's define one (or take the one, that is official,
but obviously isn't known as such).

the same goes for '-path': couldn't it read pathes relative to extra as
well, since this folder seems to be the official folder to put libraries
in?

my two rappen

roman