[PD] installatation path of help-files

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 15 11:46:42 CEST 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:

> i cannot speak for hans, of course, but personally i do also install all
> help-files into 5.reference/<library>/, so that they are visible and
> accessible by pd's help-browser. it seemed to me an easy way to check,
> what classes are delivered by a certain library.

i think the help-browser is a very weak excuse.

i totally agree, that one should group all the help-patches belonging to
a library together.
i don't agree that the binaries and the help-patches should be kept in
different places.

this can be done with plain Pd: it will automatically search the
help-patches for objects coming from a library next to the binary.
so if you have a Gem.pd_linux in extra/Gem/, then Pd will search for the
help-patch of Gem's [pix_kaleidoscope] ("pix_kaleidoscope-help.pd") in
extra/Gem/

the entire library can thus be distributed in one directory which you
just drop into extra/, which is think is a very strong point.

the only remaining thing is the help-browser. it should probably be
fixed to also offer the possibility to search extra/ and everybody would
be happy.

fmga.dsr
IOhannes

(btw, i never came to love the help-browser as it is so restrictive in
what it allows me to see)