[PD] no help file for Gem objects

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 15 11:58:52 CEST 2008

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Birgit Gasteiger wrote:
> > As I tried to open the path... pd terminated with the following error
> > message:
> >
> > *** stack smashing detected ***: pd terminated
> > Pd: signal 6
> > pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> another solution is to restructure your filesystem a bit.
>
> create a extra/Gem/ folder in your Pd-extended (if it's not already
> there); iirc, Pd-extended installs itself into /usr/local/lib/pd, so
> your path should be /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/Gem
>
> move(!) the Gem.pd_linux from extra/ to extra/Gem/
> copy all the help-patches from doc/5.reference/Gem/ into extra/Gem/

I think it's at least a bit annoying that Gem sets a hardcoded
help-path prefix to "Gem" and doesn't use the objnam-help.pd pattern.

I would much prefer it if Gem would behave like almost every other
external/abstraction collection as this wouldn't require the special
handling of Gem help files anymore. Currently some files in extra/Gem
are abstractions (which have their "*-help.pd" files) other files are
real help files for binary objects, but don't have a -help.pd suffix
and it's all a bit, well, confusing, to say the least. Oki, I'm used
to it over the years, but for a newcomer it surely is hard to follow.

Ciao