[PD] 32-bit or 64-bit xp for PD?

Mika Ristimäki mika.ristimaki at tkk.fi
Tue Apr 15 15:02:28 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching the archives I
couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for. I am getting a new
desktop computer and my options for OS are 32-bit or 64-bit XP or
64-bit Vista. Sadly no Linux, so I have to cope with Windows. The CPU
will be Quad-core Intel Xenon 5450.

So my question is what OS (from my options) should I choose for PD. I
use PD for audio algorithm research and testing so I also write lot of
externals. I suppose that with 64-bit OS it is possible to compile
compatible code for 32-bit OSs. What are the main advantages and
disvantages in running PD in 64-bit XP. How about running 32-bit XP in
the processor that has 64-bit architecture?

Thanks for all the help...

-Mika