[PD] installatation path of help-files

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:58:13 CEST 2008

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>> i cannot speak for hans, of course, but personally i do also install all
>>> help-files into 5.reference/<library>/, so that they are visible and
>>> accessible by pd's help-browser. it seemed to me an easy way to check,
>>> what classes are delivered by a certain library.
>>
>> i think the help-browser is a very weak excuse.
> [...]
>>
>> the only remaining thing is the help-browser. it should probably be
>> fixed to also offer the possibility to search extra/ and everybody
>> would be happy.
>
> something like the attached.
> i am no tcl/tk programmer, i just quickly hacked this together with help
> of the internet.

I think the whole help browser stuff is very messy. there is "1.manual"
versus "manuals" "media" vs "sound" and "7.stuff" versus "examples" some
of the stuff is pd patches, some are textfiles, some are html docs.

I think all html or text manuals should be in a separate section of the
help menu, not in the browser (in pd-extended there already is a html
menu-entry)
2.-4.and 6.(although, I am not sure about 6.) should be in a tutorials
submenu.
5. reference should be called "help-patches"
sound should be a part of media.
then you get
HELP:
  --- HTML
  --- --- Pd
  --- --- Gem
  --- --- (other manuals)
  --- BROWSER
  --- --- Tutorials
  --- --- --- (control examples)
  --- --- --- (audio examples)
  --- --- --- (data structures)
  --- --- --- (external tutorials??)
  --- --- Examples
  --- --- --- soundfile tools
  --- --- --- synths ...
  --- --- --- (tidied up content of 7.stuff)
  --- --- --- (tidied up content of examples)
  --- --- Help Patches
  --- --- Media
  --- --- --- images and video
  --- --- --- sounds

I am sure this can be even further improved. and then people would
actually find what they are looking for.
marius.