[PD] installatation path of help-files

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 16 10:26:27 CEST 2008

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
>>> you'll be able to load the library with [import], and use namespace
>>> prefixes.
>>
>> that's not how i imagine it :-)
>> Pd can do most of this already without the need for [import].
>
> ? - What do you mean ? declare ?

not really, but probably yes

use-case#1 (Pd-vanilla)
  extra/mylib/mylib.dll (containing [mobj1])
  extra/mylib/myobj1-help.pd
  .
  you load "mylib", e.g. by doing so on startup (-lib), or by instanting
[mylib].
  you create [myobj1], right-click on help and myobj1-help.pd opens up

use-case#2 (Pd-vanilla)
  extra/mylib/myobj1.dll
  extra/mylib/myobj1-help.pd
  .
  you 'load' "mylib" by adding it to the path, either on startup or with
[declare]
  you create [myobj1], right-click on help and myobj1-help.pd opens up

use-case#3 (Pd-vanilla)
  extra/mylib/myobj1.dll
  extra/mylib/myobj1-help.pd
  .
  you create [mylib/myobj1], right-click on help and myobj1-help.pd opens up

use-case#4 (only Pd-extended)
  extra/mylib/mylib.pd
  extra/mylib/myobj1.dll
  .
  you load "mylib" by using [import mylib]
  you create [myobj1], right-click on help and myobj1-help.pd opens up

i still don't see what is provided by [import] that is not provided by
Pd-vanilla anyhow.
the good thing about use-cases#1-#3 is, that they will work on both
Pd-vanilla and Pd-extended.

and if [declare] is broken, then it should be fixed.

but really, i probably just don't see the problem because of my special
use of Pd. the problem might be real nevertheless.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes