[PD] pd extended development

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 16 16:31:49 CEST 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Directory prefixes like [zexy/abs~] kind of solve the problem. The
> > problem is, that nobody likes them. (Though probably Hans does;) E.g.
> > I remember that you were complaining quite loudly when the new
> > pd-extended version didn't preload many libraries and libdirs. But of
> > course preloading libraries makes the [zexy/abs~] approach pointless,
> > except for objects in private or rarely used libraries.
>
> I totally agree with you that preloading unnecessary libraries is a
> waste of memory.

Actually I wasn't referring to preloading and I don't care about the
memory waste (which is minor), but to the "virtual library loading" that
pd-extended does with its libdir loading or path settings.  IIRC that
was, what you and many others were complaing about when it was broken
on their systemsa.

Most of the libraries in pd-extended are built as single externals, and
for abstraction libraries like list-abs bundles aren't possible anyway.

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht