[PD] pd extended development

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 04:54:01 CEST 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> how important is the portability between pd-extended and
> pd-vanilla/externals considered? any solution, that involves the
> [mylib/myclass] scheme creates patches, that are broken on a pd
> installation with multiclass externals.

seriously??? I did not know that. that actually changes a lot. it
basically means "back to start"...

> not only this, but also for a patch dev it can be quite a pain to make a
> patch work on both using [declare], because in one case you need
> -stdpath and in the other -stdlib. in the end you are forced to use
> always both for no good reason.
>
> i think it is not up to me to ask such questions, but wouldn't it be
> generally better, if the multiple-class-per-external format would be
> simply dropped? this would also have the nice side effect, that noone
> would ever use aliasses anymore, which currently (and in the future?)
> aren't fully supported.

what are aliases? and what are multiple-class-per-externals? do you mean
the bundled libraries or the split-into-separate-files libraries

> from what i can tell, making a patch work exactly the same on extended
> and vanilla adds quite some overhead. or is it only me, who would like
> to create portable (between vanilla and extended) patches?

it should be 100% compatible and should add no or only the very minimum
necessary overhead. I am willing to put a lot of effort into this being
realized.

marius.