[PD] GEM - questions about cpu/gpu performance for installation

Jaime Oliver jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:16:03 CEST 2008

Hello all,
I am making a patch for an installation using GEM and have several questions
regarding image processsing.

The 'visual' patch consists of many GL polygons (expecting about a 1000 per
computer) over which I am texturing images.

The basic building blocks (abstractions) are:

gemhead

color

pix_buffer_read

pix_texture

pix_coordinate

alpha

polygon

-Right now, my computer (old powerbook OSX 10.4.11 - one processor, built-in
graphics (ATY,RV360M11 it claims)) displaying at 1280 * 960, with 23
polygons being rendered at 30fps and nothing else being done in pd, claims
to be using 13-17% of the CPU, but it doesn't seem to display
correctly ('slow') + it becomes a bit unresponsive ('slow').

-A collaborators newer 'macbook' (not pro, but still 2 processors), with
built-in intel GMA 950 gfx card, claims to be using 95-100%(completely
incoherent), and is also unresponsive('slow'). Anyway, the instalation will
probably run in linux desktops so i am trying to define the architecture a
bit.

=> SO: these are some questions i can't really answer right now, but i
believe would shed light on the issues:

1- Which parts of this process (or image processing in general) are done by
the CPU, and which by the GPU?

2- shouldn't a two processor machine increase the performance in a GEM Patch
by default: display in one and process in the other???

3- How much and/or in what ways would the performance of the program
increase if I had a better graphics card? What features should I be looking
for in a card?

all suggestions/comments are welcome....

best,

Jaime E Oliver LR

joliverl at ucsd.edu
www.realidadvisual.org/jaimeoliver