[PD] Cyclone in vanilla?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:59:08 CEST 2008

Miller Puckette wrote:
> This is a serious problem -- putting a backwards "pow~" into Pd might
> be worse than having none at all.  But writing a book that uses "pow"
> backwards would be even worse than having one in Pd!
>
> Maybe the "right" thing would be to use another name such as "power~".

then the max way is the "wrong" way? maybe there was a reason to put it
the other side around?
pow~ will be in an elitist club together with atan and gate, and maybe
counter, which are the real troublemakes regarding backwards
compatibility and shareability.

maybe the new pow~ can spit out a compatibility warning during the first
few months? but if we agree that
pow~ 2 should be left inlet ^ 2 and not 2 ^ left inlet, then it should
be changed. because there is also good chance to use pow~ "as expected"
and then having to debug a patch (which happened to me before I found
out that it works the cyclone way)...

marius.