[PD] pd-msg

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 02:17:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Luigi Rensinghoff <
luigi.rensinghoff at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi List ....
>
> there is this well-written "tips and tricks" folder that desribes how
> to create objects/abstractions by sending messages.
>
> like...in folder #5: 2.create_new_abstract.pd..
>
> First, thanks to who put that together, this is extremely helpful and
> only documented here...
>
> So my question is:
>
> Is there a way to find out the indexnumber of the objects (the
> creation-order-number), that is needed for the

Nope, you need to keep track of those yourself. It really shouldn't be all
that hard. I have done a couple of things creating patches in this
particular way, and I have found that it is a good idea to put the static
objects in a patch first, and then anything that is "variable" would go in
next, and then lastly, you wire them up.

> | connect a b c d(
>
> message ??
>
> The scenario:
>
> imagine you build many objects and easily want to connect them with a
> little counter-like think.
>
> 1) How do you find out the number that needs to be given to
> "connect" ???

Each object is referenced in the order in which they are added to the patch.

> 2) Which additional arguments can be send to which object ??

Not really sure what you mean here, but the string used to create the object
should have everything it needs to create that instance.

As far as I know, once you add an object to a patch, the only thing you can
do with it is to pass its index to a connect message.

>      for example i would like to build a number-box, using the built-
> in "send" and "recieve" mechanism...
>      Is that possible ???

Yes, you just need to set those arguments when you add the objects to the
patch. I am not really sure where it is, but there is a listing of each of
the objects in PD and what arguments they can handle.

Hope this helped.

Mike

> Thanks
>
> Luigi

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician