[PD] Retrieving Text form a URL | Webpage

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 25 16:15:14 CEST 2008

mark edward grimm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Didn't find any results on search...
>
> Do we know a way to retrieve/grab Text from a
> webpage/url in PD...
>
> ... then write it to a textfile maybe? or insert into
> a list.

you don't have to use Pd, you could just do
"wget [URL] > myfile.txt"

you can run this from within Pd (using [shell]) or create a small server
that communicates with Pd using netsend/netreceive (or whatever you
prefer). i have posted examples on how to the latter on this list before
(so see the archives).
i have used this method extensively to display websites within Pd (e.g.
for http://umlaeute.mur.at/projects/surf-the-net)

an alternative method is to use the [tcpclient] object of mrpeach; the
help-patch even shows how to access a website.

fgmasdr
IOhannes