[PD] Cyclone in vanilla?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 16:56:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:39:04 +0200
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> another point to take into account are arguments: What should "pow 2"
> output?

Well, presuming we do keep compatability [pow~ 2] will continue to behave as
it does in Cyclone.

For the proposed intrinsic [**~ ] operator then [**~ 2] would place the argument
in the exponent position according to established Pd convention, so [**~ 2]
would be the same as squaring. It would replace

 /\
[*~]

though I expect most of us will continue to use that form.

For altering the base then one would say

[sig~ 3]

[**~ ]

which weems in keeping with other uses.

> Ciao
> --
> Frank
>
> Julian Peterson hat gesagt: // Julian Peterson wrote:
>
> > I don't really think PD-Max compatibility should factor much into
> > decisions about improving PD, especially when it would force 'untidy'
> > concessions on the part of PD to facilitate awkward max paradigms
> > (like right to left execution order, etc.).
> >
> > If [1]**[2] (where [1] and [2] are inlets) seems the cleanest and most
> > consistent syntax, then it should certainly be used; and bite our
> > thumbs at Max.

Use the source