[PD] Retrieving Text form a URL | Webpage

mark edward grimm mgrimm at syr.edu
Sat Apr 26 00:22:53 CEST 2008

hmmm ... [shell] crashes pd when it bangs "DONE"

pd-0.40.3-extended-20080222
osx 10.5.2
intel 2.16 ghz

...although i can hit "ignore" and continue working.
pretty weird.

--- IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> mark edward grimm wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Didn't find any results on search...
> >
> > Do we know a way to retrieve/grab Text from a
> > webpage/url in PD...
> >
> > ... then write it to a textfile maybe? or insert
> into
> > a list.
>
> you don't have to use Pd, you could just do
> "wget [URL] > myfile.txt"
>
> you can run this from within Pd (using [shell]) or
> create a small server
> that communicates with Pd using netsend/netreceive
> (or whatever you
> prefer). i have posted examples on how to the latter
> on this list before
> (so see the archives).
> i have used this method extensively to display
> websites within Pd (e.g.
> for http://umlaeute.mur.at/projects/surf-the-net)
>

> an alternative method is to use the [tcpclient]
> object of mrpeach; the
> help-patch even shows how to access a website.
>

> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

mark edward grimm | m.f.a | ed.m
syracuse u. | vpa foundations | timearts
adjunct | new media consultant
megrimm.net | socialmediagroup.org & .com
mgrimm at syr.edu | 315.378.2136