[PD] contextual pdpedia menu link

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Apr 27 02:21:40 CEST 2008

On Apr 26, 2008, at 5:16 AM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>
>>  That sounds very useful, I have always missed that, but I don't see
>>  the patch attached.  I think the patch tracker would be a good place
>>  for it.  I just got Cmd-M working to minimize, but it is a hack. I
>>  think that Cmd-M and Cmd-` (to switch between windows) should work
>>  with a Tk app, but somehow Pd has disabled that.  I can't find where
>>  tho.
>>
> Great that you got minimize working!  I've tried to find the Cmd-`
> blocker before as well, but I couldn't find any references to it on Tk
> mailing lists etc. so I wasn't sure if it just wasn't supported by Tk.
>  It could be emulated with Tk commands, anyways, yea?

Yes, I think it would not be too hard.  Basically you just cycle thru
the window list given from [wm stackorder .] using [raise
$nextWindow].  Or maybe something like this (in rough Tcl):

bind <Cmd-`> menu_nextwindow

proc menu_nextwindow {} {
	global current_window
	$current_window = $current_window + 1 % $window_count
	[raise [lindex [wm stackorder .] $current_window]
}

I don't know how to bind to Cmd-` tho or how to get the total window
count.

>>  Now that I think about the pdpedia help menu item more, my
>>  implementation is just a first attempt.  I am not sure whether it is
>>  the best way to handle it.  Does it do the same thing that you were
>>  thinking?
>>
> The only advantage my method would have conferred was that the menu
> item would say "Pdpedia for switch~" or what-have-you (to make it
> clearer that that is where it would take you), not that big a deal.
> What else were you thinking about?

That does sound much better.  I think you could add that without
having to edit anything outside of u_main.tk.

>>  Also, any interest in taking on the pdpedia context menu item?  I
>>  think that will require edits to both u_main.tk and g_editor.c, but
>>  it should be relatively straightforward.
>>
> Sure, I don't mind taking it on.  But maybe someone else could chime
> in; I don't know if I'd be visiting the Pdpedia entry of patches often
> enough to be worth having in the context menu all the time, it will
> sort of clutter things and reduce the "muscle-memorability" of the
> menu so that has to be taken into account.  Anyone else have an
> opinion on that?

> Yea, thinking about it more, I don't know if a link taking you out of
> Pd and into a web-browser is the best thing for a context menu where
> it could be accidentally clicked (that would drive me nuts after a
> couple times I think).

Well, one way to find out is to try it :).  But yeah, it might not
work out, so perhaps there are better things to do.

> O, and I put the patch for proxy icons in the tracker.

I saw that, I'll check it out when I get a moment.

.hc

> Cheers
> Luke
>
>>  .hc
>>

>>  On Apr 25, 2008, at 2:57 AM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
>>
>>> I mentioned them a week or two ago in another thread; documents
>>> in OS
>>> X usually have a little icon in the titlebar that represents the
>>> file
>>> being edited; you can drag it to get a reference to the file (for
>>> copying or opening in another application; for Pd files that's
>>> awesome
>>> for dragging to your text editor for editing), or you can right