[PD] pattern extraction/recognition

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Apr 27 18:21:56 CEST 2008

> Hi, i'm looking for a way to make a patch that recognizes musical motifs
> from a flute player in real-time.

The first problem is how accurate you expect the pattern recognition to
be. I have a piece where I ask Pd to make binary descriminations on input
from the flute player, in real time. It works fine.
It is simple enough to get note information from fiddle~ and write that as
a list or a table. The problem is that you won't get 100% of the flute
notes (legato notes sometime don't trigger etc.) and the notes fiddle
estimates are not always perfect.
The next problem is how fast can pd process the list/table to identify
pattern. That will depend on the length of the patterns (of course) but
also the narrower the definition of what pd needs to look for the faster
it can match (probably).
To create a system that works for you, you will definately need to start
with recordings before you have something to work with a player on.

There is a fair ammount of research on music pattern recognition out
there, though real-time is not a priority for most at this stage.

Oded