[PD] pattern extraction/recognition

cristiano listas crislists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 03:19:05 CEST 2008

thanks all for reply,

the best performance I ever heard using musical pattern recognition was by
> the trombone player george lewis
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lewis_(trombonist)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lewis_%28trombonist%29>
> he uses a max patch called voyager. I have no idea how it works, maybe you
> find some documentation online. he worked on it for several years. and it
> was extremely good.
> marius.

thanks a lot, in this
paper<http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/leonardo_music_journal/v010/10.1lewis.html>,George
talk about the voyager programming in the FORMULA  language, some
interesting insights, thinking buy the cd
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html%3FASIN=B00003JAI9%26tag=squidoox14-20%26lcode=xm2%26cID=2025%26ccmID=165953%26location=/o/ASIN/B00003JAI9%253FSubscriptionId=19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2>

Have begun to look Nick Collins work (bbcut), that looks to be very good
with supercollider.

Looks that legato notes are a problem with fiddle~.  Maybe  a output mix of
fiddle~ and fft~? just guessing.

I think that the length of the pattern to be recognized should be variable,
but following the "common sense" concept of motif: 3 to 10 notes.

The motif is a rythmic/melodic pattern - i will think rythm and melody
separately, but in some moment they will interact i still don't figure out
how.

Aubio semms great, i will try a binary that i found
here<http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/linux/debian/debian/pool/main/a/aubio/pd-aubio_0.3.2-2+b1_i386.deb>.

Looks like i have a lot of work to do.

Thanks