[PD] Newbie request

Hugh Sung hughsung at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:35:03 CEST 2008

Actually, this isn't for speech recognition - i'm trying to come up with a
simple way to use key triggers to activate visuals.

For example:  if the piano plays A440, i'm presuming PD can be configured to
recognize that pitch with a microphone input and then echo out a text string
- the letter "A", perhaps.

I have a presentation program that can be configured to accept keyboard
strokes to activate visual events.

Does that example make sense?  PD sounds like it should be able to handle
that capability pretty easily...

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM, marius schebella <
marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:

> speech to text in opensource software is still poor, and even poorer for
> languages other than english. afaik pd also doesnot have a builtin solution
> for that. you could try to use a different program for that and parse the
> text, or you could try more basic approaches within pd (like pitch
> recognition, amplitude/envelope following, or rhythm/melody recognition.
> I am sure there are some commercial solutions out there (like in the
> iphone) that have good speech-to-text recognition, including dictionaries.
> sorry that this probably is no real help for you, maybe someone else knows
> more?
> marius.
>
> Hugh Sung wrote:
>
> > Hello!  I'm new to PD and was wondering if i could get a "working start"
> > -
> >
> > i'd like to someday be able to create a PD applet that can take audio
> > input from a microphone and convert the sounds to text that can
> > simultaneously be applied to a concurrently running program, like a word
> > processor or a presentation program that accepts alpha-numeric input to
> > trigger events.  Can someone create a PD example that does the following:
> >
> > 1.  echo Alpha/numeric characters based on variable pitch
> > 2.  echo alpha/numeric characters based on volume
> > 3.  echo alpha/numeric characters based on rhythm (ie, number of pulses
> > per second or minute)
> >
> > Sorry if this sounds simplistic - if i can see an example of a PD patch
> > that can incorporate these elements, that will go a LONG way to helping me
> > learn how to program PD on my own!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions, PD list!
> >
> > --
> > Hugh Sung
> > www.hughsung.com <http://www.hughsung.com>
> > www.TabletPCMusician.com <http://www.TabletPCMusician.com>