[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

David Golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sat May 3 06:04:33 CEST 2008

Hey PD gurus,

I used to use PD a lot but haven't much for the last year or more.  Now I'm
getting back in to it and finding that the UI is just really clunky and
awkward and makes the workflow really painful.  I build website UIs
professionally in JavaScript (see
http://www.zillow.com/search/RealEstateSearch.htm for an example of a UI I
built, everything except the Flash).  I also have on-the-job experience in
design and usability, as well as coding skills in Python and some exposure
to C, C++ and Java.  I'd like to start pitching in specifically on GUI and
chrome improvements in the trunk for the core PD UI.  How would I go about
getting started?  I noticed the page at
http://puredata.info/dev/GuiIdeashas some outstanding requests from
the community, it seems like the best
thing is to start there.  I'd also like to integrate with the developer
community to ensure that UI improvements (specifically, better keyboard
support and smoothing out some glaring dialog/chrome issues) don't have a
negative impact on realtime audio performance.

Best,

David