[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 5 22:07:19 CEST 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> what is so bad about, if you create [ADSR] that it comes as a nice
> little control gui with all the knobs already included?
> it is not true that words are "better" than images. and it is not true
> that more information in a patch means "better".
> I think you are right from the viewpoint of a programming user, but
> users that just want higher level usuability want better graphics at
> least the *possibility* to add graphical UI features. but this is quite
> a lot of work...

Most of my patches only use a handful of Pd core objects, like maybe
(guessing) 50 builtins and some externals. However on my disk there
are hundreds of abstractions, that I use. If I would need to think of
and design icons for each of these, I would not use abstractions and I
would feel severly limited in what I could express with Pd. Concrete
example: What icons should I use for the ~60 abstractions in the
list-abs collection? It's no problem to express their functionality
using words, but icons would be horribly confusing. Oh, and yes: I'm a
programming user here, but I believe most Pd users are programming
users, and the others rely on the work of programming users.

Ciao