[PD] inlets, outlets, and dynamic patching

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue May 6 18:18:33 CEST 2008

Matt Barber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for this.  Out of curiosity, what's the main difference between
> [loadbang] and [initbang] for use in abstractions (does [initbang] not
> send a bang when you open the abstraction file for editing but only
> when you load it in another file)?

[loadbang] fires after the abstraction is loaded and connected into the
containing patch, so [loadbang]--[outlet] should work.

[initbang] fires after the abstraction is loaded but before connections
are made in the containing patch, so you can create i/o-lets and have
them still be connected.

> Also, the [namecanvas] helpfile says it is obsolete -- is it likely to
> disappear?

It's only "obsolete" because it's possible to crash pd if you use it
incorrectly.  I think it'll stay if enough people use it :)