[PD] Lua and PD (update)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue May 6 19:42:48 CEST 2008

Mike McGonagle wrote:
> 1. Lua access to PD variables

Now on the TODO list.

> 2. Lua access to PD tables

Now on the TODO list, after being in my virtual TODO list for ages.

> Another idea that I had was, instead, have my Lua script create a
> bunch of 'receive' objects, and just have the PD interface send the
> data to that receiver, rather than use a variable.

Yes, that works - I use Lua quite a bit for collecting values from my
(many) GUI objects and sending them to one outlet.

See for example:

https://devel.goto10.org/svn/maximus/2008/d012345/vast-array-of-numbers-guts.pd_lua

For going the other way (sending values to one of many GUI objects), I
generally use Pd [makefilename] [list prepend] "; $1 $2" and so on,
although it would be equally possible to do it in Lua.

> Also, is there any sort of "coding standard" that has been established
> in pdlua? When I started to learn Lua, I wasn't using PD, and since I
> started with PD, I noticed that the Object system used by pdlua was
> different from what I had done.

The object system in pdlua isn't particularly well-thought out or
elegant, I'd be interested in what you had developed and how it differs
- maybe I could learn something from it.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org