[PD] Lua and PD (update)

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue May 6 20:07:34 CEST 2008

On 5/6/08, Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:
> Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
> > 1. Lua access to PD variables
>  Now on the TODO list.
> > 2. Lua access to PD tables
>  Now on the TODO list, after being in my virtual TODO list for ages.

Groovy!

> > Another idea that I had was, instead, have my Lua script create a
> > bunch of 'receive' objects, and just have the PD interface send the
> > data to that receiver, rather than use a variable.
> >

>  Yes, that works - I use Lua quite a bit for collecting values from my
> (many) GUI objects and sending them to one outlet.
>
>  See for example:
>
> https://devel.goto10.org/svn/maximus/2008/d012345/vast-array-of-numbers-guts.pd_lua

Thanks, I will have a look...

>  The object system in pdlua isn't particularly well-thought out or elegant,
> I'd be interested in what you had developed and how it differs - maybe I
> could learn something from it.

Well, thanks for that vote of encouragement, but after studying the
methods used in pdlua, it is actually a bit less verbose. Many of the
things I had done my way were about a 1/3 longer. It was a method that
I borrowed from a book I have.

One thing I am curious about pdlua is how much of the C code is
intertwined with the Lua code. Meaning, how much of the interface
between the two is done in C, and how much in Lua.

Thanks again,

Mike

--
Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything
we have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.