[PD] recursively search directories for abstractions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed May 7 09:18:43 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Matt Barber hat gesagt: // Matt Barber wrote:

> Is there an object that gets PD to search directories for
> abstractions, without resetting the -path flags on startup?  And is
> there any way to do so recursively?  I create an abstraction, say
> [frac] which returns the fractional value of a float.  I have an
> abstractions directory called "mbarb", and inside that a directory
> called "math" where I want to put [frac].  I then want to be able to
> send my patch to a friend, with the mbarb abstractions, and have the
> patch load them automatically -- (I would prefer [frac] to
> [mbarb/math/frac] ..)
>
> Is there a way to do this, and if so do you know offhand after which
> version this became available?  I have heard much talk about
> [declare], but I have not tested any version of PD after 0.39, and it
> doesn't seem to work there or before, unless I'm doing something
> wrong.

That's exactly the job [declare] was written to take, you can also see
this in action in Miller's Pd Repertoire Project patches. However in
the latest version of Pd, [declare -(std)path] is disabled for
abstractions, so it's only of limited use at the moment. Lets hope it
gets enabled again soon. For now you can use [declare -path
mbarb/math] only in your toplevel patch, to make [frac] available
without prefix there.

Ciao