[PD] [PD-announce] Proof Me! PD FLOSS Manual

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 8 15:22:35 CEST 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 9:54 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Derek Holzer wrote:
>> Dear Pure Dataheads,
>>
>> following the PD FLOSS Booksprint in Croatia last month, the 0.1
>> version
>> of the Pure Data FLOSS Manual is now online!
>>
>> http://flossmanuals.net/puredata
>>
>> Adam Hyde, Luka Prinčič and myself busted some serious ass to get
>> this
>> up, and now we're ready to take on our toughest customers: YOU.
>
> great that it is here now.
>

>> We'd really appreciate it if members of this list could read
>> through the
>> chapters, keeping the following points in mind:
>>
>> 1) Is the text clear and consistent?
>

> Installing:
>
> i find it highly confusing that  the "Installing Pure Data on Debian"
> (and ubuntu) does not mention in a single word that you could just run
> "aptitude install puredata"
>
> also, the InstallingOSX is probably not completed yet, as this is the
> only installer-page that has no beautiful imagery (but then it
> mentions
> 'canonical' Pd)

InstallingOSX looks pretty complete to me, I guess screenshots would
be good, there is actually an extraneous line.  This line last
applied for version 0.38.4, it would be much better if it was
entirely removed:

    3. Copy the file named org.puredata.pd.plist to ~/Library/
Preferences. (The '~' character stands for your home folder).
[REMARK: Is this still required? I think it worked 'automagically'
when I installed it...]

Also, I think it should not be called "Hans-Christoph Steiner's
extended version", many other people have contributed, and I indeed
starting building on the work of others.  I think it would be better
labeled "the Pd community's extended version" since it included the
externals, docs, patches, etc of many many people.

One possible addition to InstallingOSX would be referencing JackOSX
(http://jackosx.com/) for anyone who might want to use Jack.  Or on
the InstallingWindows, it would be very good to point to ASIO4ALL
http://www.asio4all.com/, since it is free as in beer and usually
makes the audio work much better on Windows.

.hc