[PD] Lua and PD (update)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 8 21:44:20 CEST 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 4:37 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Mike McGonagle wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I am not
>> really in a position at the moment to learn how to compile pdlua.
>
> Which platform are you on?  If you're able to get on IRC, #dataflow
> on irc.freenode.net, I could try and help you get it compiled, and
> hopefully make it easier for others to compile it too.
>
> > I pretty
>> much depend on the extended version (thanks to Hans) for these
>> things. Do
>> your sources automatically update those things?
>
> After some discussion with Hans, we decided that as pdlua is still
> changing rapidly it would be better to have pdlua as a separate
> download.  Hans, can you confirm that pdlua is no longer included
> in the pd-extended builds?

It'll be included in the branches/pd-extended/0.41 nightly builds
once that happens, and removed from the 0.40 release.  I think there
is no harm in including it the test builds, and it makes it easier to
test.  But since pdlua is still changing, it shouldn't be in a release.

.hc

> I think there is still an old version of pdlua in the pure-data svn
> repo, if someone can remove it I'd appreciate it, either that or
> convert it to an svn:external thing against the pdlua development
> version:
>
> https://devel.goto10.org/svn/maximus/pdlua
>
> [snip]
>
>> also note that Pd tables are indexed from 0, unlike Lua's 1-based
>> indexing.
>>>  I'm not sure whether to have pd.Table have 1-based indexing like
>>> Lua or
>>> stick with the Pd-style 0-based indexing (which is what is currently
>>> implemented).
>> How do other implementations do this? Should we look to see how
>> "Vessel"
>> does it in Max? It could be one of those things that turns out to
>> be a
>> "gotcha" for new users who happen to miss that these tables are 0
>> based,
>> instead of the Lua 1 based...
>
> Good idea, I'll take a look.
>

> Claude
> --
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams