[PD] controlling gem camera with wiimote

Luigi Rensinghoff luigi.rensinghoff at freenet.de
Fri May 9 14:34:06 CEST 2008

Hi wiimote-experimantators....

Looks like some more people experimenting with th wii on OS X, so we
cold share some thoughts and experiences...

For know i am using "Osculator" to send OSC Data to PD....because

1) It is possible to handle more than one wiimote

2) I was able to compile "wiimote" or "aka.wiiremote" on Intel-OS X
Tiger, but when i create the aka.wiiremote object or load the help-
patch i get that

load_object: Symbol "setup_aka0x2ewiiremote" not found
  aka.wiiremote 00-1e-35-03-8a-00

  ---- i will search again vor Readmes describing the setup
procedure...i guess something is wrong with the setup (unfortunately
the original readme about the setup procedure from aka.wiiremote is
not available on the net any more)

   It took me a while to find out that without the IR-Sensor bar it
is only possible to get TWO axis. as Roman stated before..

I have attached two patches, one that i found here, and i adapted it
to be used with OSCulator and one i was working yesterday (it
shouldnt be to difficult to adapt it to change the camera-view)

Still very chaotic - but maybe helpful

So anyway, i would be interested to hear how it is processing and
what your experiments wit the wii are up to..

So one question: There were Threads about porting/adapting the
wiimote-external to OSX, i think Hans was planning to do that....did
you start already ?
How is the current state ?

BTW: i am getting error: pd_vmess: only 5 allowed, since a week or so ??

Am 09.05.2008 um 11:33 schrieb Roman Haefeli:

> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 17:49 +0900, hard off wrote:
>> you will probably need a middleman program to take the wii data and
>> convert it into OSC messages so PD can read it.
>>
>> just google " wii + OSC + your operating system" and you should find
>> what you need.
>>
>> OSCulator (mac) is good.  and someone just said that 'glovepie' is
>> good for windows.
>>

>> then just map the pitch, roll and yaw of the wii remote to the camera
>> angle.
>

> you don't get angles directly, but the magnitude of X, Y and Z vectors
> (or more accurately: the accelerations). however, you can calculate
> pitch and roll from the wiimote data. since g (gravity) is parallel to
> the yaw rotation axis, you cannot track the yaw angle.
>
> the [wiimote-help] by mike wozniewski comes with an example about
> how to
> do that.
>
> roman

Luigi Rensinghoff