[PD] [GEM-dev] current version of GEM using QuickTime generates audio output!!!!!!!!!

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri May 9 22:02:38 CEST 2008

Quoting Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>:

> Now, try it with a dv-pal AVI file with audio - or maybe with ANY avi file
> with audio - or maybe even with a mov (I reproduced it with a dv-pal avi).
> The annoying thing is that it is playing the file audio track, and it does
> not come from PD (dsp is turned off). I dunnow where the heck the audio
> comes from but i hear it.
> If you don't activate the "auto" check nor move the frame number, a
> 1-frame-long (which is 40msec) fragment of audio is repeated over and over
> again, and the patch consumes almost 100% CPU.

hmm, quicktime has the bad habit of playing back the audio of a movie
on it's own.
it is weird that it did not happen before.

anyhow, i have uploaded yet another version to
http://gem.iem.at/releases/0.91/gem-CVS20080509-W32-i686.exe

this version should at least mute the audio-output when using QuickTime

> With old gem-CVS20060412-NT-i686 this doesn't happen, with the same version
> of quicktime. GEM only reproduced the video, through QuickTime, and ignores
> the audio (which is what you expect from GEM isn't it). Also, if you don't
> activate "auto" nor move the frame number, it consumes much less CPU (which
> is reasonable cause it's not decoding new frames).

indeed

> I guess I do can assume that 2006 version is also using quicktime because of
> the "1" argument in the open message. I don't know if the attached output
> (obtained with old 2006 version) (at the end of the message)confirms this.

it does.

> Why and where is the audio being played? How can I turn it off and avoid
> useless cpu usage???

i will probably have a look into the CPU-thing; nevertheless, there
haven't been any real changes to the code (that would explain both the
sudden appearance of sound and the cpu-thing)
i assume that you are doing your tests on the same machine with just
Gem.dll exchanged (so directX and quicktime should _really_ be the same)

anyhow, you probably will notice that Gem now comes as an installer (.exe)
i hope this eases the installation procedure...

Hans, if you read this: is this installer ok for you too? (i guess you
have downloaded the zip and extracted it manually, so there shouldn't
be any real difference in terms of work)

fgamdsr
IOhannes