[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

David Golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:48:03 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Steffen Juul <stffn at dibidut.dk> wrote:

> On 10/05/2008, at 19.48, David Golightly wrote:
>
>  Ok, after a busy week this is what I've been able to come up with for the
>> Path dialog.
>>

> Looking really good! The browse functionality is a fair idiom in a such GUI
> as oppose to entering text, i think.

Thanks!  I've often been kind of frustrated that I have to type in the full
directory name rather than simply browsing to it.  For the
keyboard-inclined, however, text entry should still be possible.

> "One" comment: I have a beef with the functionality of the buttons. Not the
> Cancel one. The others. 'Apply' does something. 'Ok' does 'apply' plus
> 'cancel'. 'Save...' does 'Apply' plus saves. But it says the list is only
> gonna work from next time Pd is lunched, why i don't get the 'Apply' and
> 'Ok'. 'Ok' should do save and cancel. Thats all one wants, anit?

I agree.  I've preserved the pre-existing functionality for those buttons
from before, but do we really need both "Save" and "Apply"?  Currently,
"Save" also "saves preferences" (verbose & use standard extensions).  I
think that should also happen when you click "Apply", so we can do away with
the "Save" button, and also make sure that the message about needing to
restart PD pops up when you click "OK" or "Apply".

>  I'm thinking about adapting this UI for the Startup dialog - shouldn't be
>> hard to do - except instead of choosing directories you want to enter
>> arbitrary text.
>>

> I haven't checked your code but i suppose most "proc's" can be reused?
>
>  I've set up some various key bindings so I want to make sure it seems
>> usable for everyone.
>>

> Nice. What are they?

Default key bindings for the listbox widget give you "up" and "down" keys to
select, I've added "Delete" to delete the current selection, and "Return" to
open the browse dialog (same as pressing "Edit").