[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:32:53 CEST 2008

David Golightly wrote:
> Well scratch that then, perhaps that will only work when you're building
> pd on your own machine.  If you launch Pd from Terminal, you might see
> error output in that terminal window - that would be helpful to have.

ok, I first tested with 0.40, that did not work, I now tried with 0.41-4
and think your patch is is already a great improvement compared to the
current situation.
here are some things that you may consider.
up down buttons should be beside each other, maybe it is also possible
to align buttons, please try to get rid of as many buttons as possible,
reduce whatever is not needed. for example, the edit button is not
necessary, if you can double click on the path, everybody will
understand that. even better would be, if you could edit inside the list
without the popup edit line. maybe it is also possible to drag the lines
around with the mouse (without up/down buttons). and also click after
the last line to add a new path. maybe the add/new could be the last
line. or below the last line, or there is an empty line, that you can
double click to add a new path.
delete could also be a small button beside each line, so that you don't
have to select and then click on a button on the right side. (what about
multiple select?).
add could also be named "new".
I immediately tried to resize the window to make it bigger, but resize
is not enabled,
of course drag and drop from the file manager would be nice.
I like that the mouse wheel is working, the scrollbar only changes, if I
move the mouse with a certain speed. when I move it slowly, the
scrollbar is stuck.
also, when I use up / down buttons, then it would be nice it the
scrollbar would move according to the position of the selection.
since I am on osx, I don't know how to add paths inside the application,
which is a bundle.
when I click on cancel I get an error in the console:
NavGetReply failed, -128 but, it seems to cancel without problems.
when I click on the red X to close the window instead of cancel
I get an error in a tcl/tk popup:
invalid command name "path_cancel"
invalid command name "path_cancel"
     while executing
"path_cancel .gfxstub33a690"
     (command for "WM_DELETE_WINDOW" window manager protocol)

"apply" button and save all settings seem redundant. OK should save.
apply might make sense if you want to save, but continue editing (=save,
but don't close window). but usually you don't work that long in the
path editor to need that functionality.
not sure what verbose and "use standard extension are for?
after some time I had problems with the mouse focus. maybe because of to
much dragging. but a click would select another line as the one the
mouse was over.
and of course after delete ctrl z for undo would be nice...
still, after all I like the improvements so far, and any small
improvement is already a lot of work, so thanks!!!
marius.