[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

Steffen Juul stffn at dibidut.dk
Sun May 11 14:44:25 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 1:29 pm, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> - about the Apply button, I think it should only show up on platforms
> where it is a common thing.  On Mac OS X, it should just be OK and
> Cancel.  On Windows, there should be Apply.  I think GNOME has moved
> away from Apply, but I don't know anything about KDE.

KDE seam to have both Apply and OK (and Cancel). But i don't think the
actual UI need be platform dependent. That is, i think it matters less
then having multiple buttons with different names that hint much the same
functionally but don't nessacarily supply that functionality. Apply, Ok
and Save in this case - as explained earlier.

One easy solution is to remove the Save button and add the save
functionality to the Ok button. And then either remove also the Apply
button or add the save functionality to that also. So where

Save:= Saves changes to file ready for next startup of Pd
Cancel:= Cancels i.e. quit the dialog

we have:

Case i:
Cancel
Apply:= Save
Ok:= Apply + Cancel

Case ii:
Cancel
Ok:= Save + Cancel

That said, I'd like to underline that i think the improvements already
done are much more impotent then this clearing of confusion of the UI. I
shall rest my case now (or submit a patch).