[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

David Golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:44:26 CEST 2008

This is all great feedback, guys - keep it coming.  Keep in mind I'm still
learning Tcl/Tk, so some of these ideas, while excellent, are a little
beyond my technical grasp at this point and may be improvements that we make
incrementally over time.  Also, I have a limited amount of my time to budget
for this kind of work - I also work full-time and make music too - so I
think prioritizing some of these ideas into subsequent releases is probably
the best way to get them into Pd.

Some points:

- On the Startup dialog: I wasn't satisfied with the popup box for editing
each list item, and also tried to look for a way to edit list items in
place, but couldn't figure out how to make that work in Tcl/Tk, so I settled
on the popup box.  The bug you saw with that not working, Hans, I've since
fixed.

- I played around with the idea of multiple select in the listboxes, but
wasn't wholly satisfied with it and found that it introduced more problems
than it solved.  For example, what if you select multiple Paths and then
click "Edit"?  What is that supposed to do?

- Having buttons inline with the list items in the listboxes would also be
really cool, but it seems like it's a lot more work to do that, since Tk's
default listbox widget only wants to deal with arrays of strings.

- I agree with the idea that the "Save all settings" button should be
removed everywhere and folded into "Apply" ("OK" does "Apply" + "Cancel").
I think what it originally was supposed to do was give you an opportunity to
test settings without saving them, but for that, I think it's best to have
something like a "Revert settings" button instead.  Also, I think this
functionality is so marginal that we can remove it altogether.

- I also agree that the four Preferences menus (Path, Startup, Audio, and
MIDI) should all be different tabs in the same dialog.  However, that seems
like a feature that can be added at a later time; for now, I'd like to focus
on finishing up the improvements that we already have, so we can try & get
them into Vanilla, then perhaps go through the menu system at some point and
re-evaluate how that's structured, maybe do some further improvements with
some of the other menus too.  Plus I'm itching to get on to improving the UI
widget settings boxes.

- I'll see what I can do to remove those extra buttons.  I really like
having everything keyboard-accessible, which includes stuff like tab order,
so I think it's probably best to keep around the buttons for list editing
commands for now, although we can certainly investigate ways to reduce the
size they take up on the screen.

I'm going to spend some spare time over the next few days working out some
of the remaining kinks, then I'll re-post the patch for review before
submitting it to the tracker.  Thanks again to everyone who has taken time
to look at the proposed changes!

If anyone has specific ideas to improve the layout of these dialogs, it
would be amazing to see some sort of low-fi sketch of what you have in mind,
just black outlines with text on a white background would be fine.  Also, if
anyone has some more advanced Tk wizardry they'd like to impart, or could
point me to some better resources, I'd be most grateful - Google has been a
lot less helpful than I've experienced with other languages/platforms.

Thanks,
David